- playing at Kennedy Center (Washington, DC)
- dates: now through January 15, 2017
- directed by Clarke Peters
- script by Kirsten Greenidge
- music by Terence Blanchard
- Roar Score: 4/5
Christopher Paul Curtis’s novel Bud, Not Buddy first slipped onto my radar in 2012. Yes, the book was published in 1999, and it won both the Newbery Medal and the Coretta Scott King Award in 2000. But it was in 2012 that I saw Curtis speak and read from his book in Chicago at the International Reading Association’s annual conference (now the International Literacy Association).
I was blown away.
So I was incredibly excited to catch the stage adaptation of the book this week at the Kennedy Center’s Eisenhower Theater. With a couple familiar faces in the cast and a full jazz band on stage, the show didn’t disappoint.